Friday 30 November 2012

Lahore, I miss you.

Lahore-
 I miss you.
I miss your colour
I miss your magic
I miss your people 
I miss your dusty streets
and I miss your stifling heat
I miss your warmth.

Lahore, 
I miss your kingdom
I miss your children 
I miss their smiles and their wiles
Lahore I miss walking for miles
 everyday 
to Shalimar Gardens
through a labyrinth of markets 
that harden 
folk.

Where I am now
Where I've been
Will I ever understand
what it all means?

I miss the creatures that roam
I miss home.
I wonder, 
is it possible to feel homesick
towards a land so derelict
so ill-equipped
for a dreamer
like me? 
If only I could make you see-
Lahore!

Lahore, I miss your heart
But is it really possible for me to start
a new life in your land
and yet remain how I am
myself-
how I think 
and how I live? 
How can I give 
back?

Lahore I want a piece of you
I want to buy a piece of you 
and create a magical place
a sacred space
a school filled with joy and learning
Lahore, I will never stop yearning 
for you
for this dream. 

I'd create a nature reserve 
where I'd serve 
up natural ideas and 
spiritual delights
and I'd share with friends,
such beautiful sights.

Lahore I miss you, I do. 
Lahore, I have so many plans
I can't tell you
But you know they always fall 
through.

Time is ticking Lahore
What does the future have in store
for me?

I'm scared 
I'll get distracted and forget
the promises I made to the children I met
by the banks of the river Ravi.

Should I really go away
to do an MA 
in Creative Writing
or should I keep fighting 
to make this dream a reality(?)...