Tuesday 12 February 2019

befriended by the blind

met a couple on the bus
the 131 bus to kingston
they were both blind
the woman sat next to me,
the man said he would prefer to stand
he said he liked to stand on buses
she started talking to me
the woman with black glasses and a white cane
good humoured and kind
she told me her name
what was it?
she said she got into a ski accident
she smashed her head
she said at least she was doing something she enjoyed
at least she had led
a good life, and it continues
not a trace of bitterness
she said it could have been worse
 she’s come a long way
she’s going to the gym
she has him, 
she has a partner
he had brain cancer as a child
and he went blind
but he's a pro at karate and all sorts
so spirited and happy
subjectively, she said life is what you make it
she has 2 boys
she told me about her old job
I didn't understand it 
she told me her name
I can’t remember what it was
Jacinda or something
she asked me a lot of questions
and then it was my turn to speak
tongue tied, I half stammered
not knowing where to look
from where he was standing
he leaned over to the direction of my voice
and listened to my replies
from where she was sitting
everything I said sounded flat and empty
(bland and repetitive, to my ears alone perhaps)
I said I’m taking the Japanese students bowling
I said I’m some kind of guide, 
but not like she was
and soon our conversation dies
and its ashes hang in the air
choking, I TURN MY GAZE TOWARDS THE BUS WINDOW
AND STARE,
INTO THE NEW MALDON DISTANCE 
blessed to have encountered them
two strangers, who found love in each other
two blind strangers
who make the best
of everything they have
(she said it could have been worse)
not a trace of bitterness, it could have been worse
and my heart burst.
it burst

(I beg of the earth, to swallow me whole
unworthy of this precious and beautiful life 
unworthy of being befriended by the blind)

I remember then. WE ARE BLIND.